Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The US Public Schools: Where Teachers Don't Even Speak Proper American English UPDATE

Well, my sassy 15 year old, public high school (of her choice) student, has just sent me a flurry of texts complaining about her one science teacher, whom she has had beef with since the beginning of the semester.  Her beef today, he told her and the rest of the class that colleges prefer public school students over private, online or homeschooled students.  This is not true.

I never attended American public school and was always envious of those who did.  They had friends in their town, they could walk to school, whereas, us private school kids, we would be from all over.  True, it was and is a blessing to have been able to make friends and connections from all over, as opposed to literally, just one town......but as they say, the grass is always greener.

My adopted mother was a snob.  If you knew her, God rest her soul, you'd know this is not only true, but very funny.  She would always lament on how uneducated her CCD students were.  Being as I refuted any and all things of my mother for maybe 35 years of my life, I disavowed this belief of hers, in regards to the USA public schools.  However, boy - was she right.

I made the decision to send my kids to the local public school when I moved to my new and current "hometown" back in 2004.  What I found were a slew of closed minds.  Narrow minded people, being led and educated by even more narrow minded people.  So much so, that many, if not MOST of the teachers had themselves, never even left this small town!  Now I know why they thought I was a liar when I just spoke my life "truths," such as going to boarding school in Italy, living in the suburbs of NYC, living in CA, VT, CT....they never met anyone like me and thought I was a fraud!  I should've just said I was from space.  I probably would have been accepted, and made friends more easily. LOL.

Here's what I noted as fact; most of the teachers went to the elementary they were teaching in, then on to the high school, then to the college - which is next door to the hs- THEN they came back to teach!!!!!!  That is absurd.  And we wonder why ignorance exists?

So, cut to today; my kid is mad because the teacher, who isn't even above 30 years of age, told my kid that colleges prefer public school students.  Here's what I told her to bring up.  When I pulled my oldest son from this same commie public school and put him in Carson Long Military Academy (which is a WONDERFUL school, if anyone wants to know), the former headmaster, a former British SAS officer said, and I quote, "When discussing US foreign policy, the discussion that will be held here, in a classroom filled with International students, is going to be a far cry from the discussion in a classroom held at Penn Manor High School."  Touche'.  My kid didn't retort with that, but must have said something else to the effect, because the "teacher" retorted with, " it DON'T matter if you went to public or private school!"  AH, it don't?  She did correct him, which though sassy, WAS justified and he laughed in her face.

Here's my rub; in this area, everyone talks about how great this one school district is in the county, Manheim Township, because it is filled with richies.  However, here's what I noted, my husband went there, as did all of his friends, and from what I found within that circle and others I have met from there is, NONE OF THEM SPEAK PROPER AMERICAN ENGLISH (it's their natural and common speech to use phrases such as; it don't, I ain't, I seen, etc.,).  When I was told in 2001, back when I first moved to this county by someone coming to do work on the property I was running, "You speak so well," I should have taken it as a sign, LOL.

Nevertheless, the husband and I have been patiently waiting for our kid to "wake up," and let us pull her from the district.  But, she loves the social aspect of school, so she is just going to have to deal with the "stupids." ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment